When school’s out – enjoy spending time with your kids, rather than endeavouring to ‘entertain’ them.
If you need to stay home but want to have quality fun time – ask them what they want to do and give some of your own ideas too – choose together and make a whole day of it.
Deciding is half the fun; but here are some ideas to get you started…
- Craft – painting, drawing, beading, pottery, play dough.
- More creativity – dress ups, story writing / telling, build a pillow fort, bake, build with lego or recyclables, make puppets and plan a show.
- More inside – plan a project, adventure or a trip for the future, cook, rearrange their bedroom, make a surprise gift for a family member who’s out.
- Outside – backyard cricket, teach your dog to fetch, garden together, build a treehouse or fort, water pistol or water bomb fights.
Maybe you’ll spend the day planning your next adventure, here are some ideas to get you started…
- Plan feast – go out to dinner or cook a favourite meal together.
- Build a backyard Ninja warrior course (and then hold a competition).
- Go to a sporting event together.
- Go to an ice-cream shop and enjoy a delicious ice-cream together.
- Ride bikes at the park or on trails.
- Go on a visit to the zoo or a wildlife park.
- Go on a visit to a local museum together.
- Build a Bike/scooter/skateboard mini jump ramp together.
- Build and fly a kite together.
- Go on a bush walk day trip.
- Go play bowling or mini-golf.
- Do a photo scavenger hunt! come up with a list of things to capture on a walk. The kids will be happy to discover them and take pictures!
- Go to the library and read some books together.
- Build a cubby out of boxes/branches/blankets and spend some time in it reading books or playing.