Girls need some help or some way to avoid the pressure they get from boys. You can find other strategies or ways from Collective Shout to help your teenage daughter(s). In the meantime, listen to this podcast or read the transcript below for tips on how to help teenage girls face the pressure.
Teenage Girls and the Pressure They Face
I’d like to talk about teenage girls and the pressure they’re under to get involved in sex at an inappropriate age.
There’s a group called “Collective Shout” who’ve talked about this – that girls need some way, some help to avoid the pressure exerted by boys; and some of that pressure is, for example, blackmail.
Of course girls have always been under pressure from boys – “If you love me, you would have sex with me”, or “I’m going to dump you if you don’t have sex”, etc. – they’ve always been harassed, but it’s become much worse now. So Collective Shout have given some nice sentences for girls to say to boys:
- “Boys, if we’re hanging out together, don’t expect it to be sexual”,
- “Boys, if we say no, we don’t mean yes”,
- “Boys, stop commenting all the time on how we look. Value us for something else – we don’t all have perfect bodies”,
- “Boys, we’re not here on the earth for your entertainment”, and finally
- “Boys, we understand that you guys are under pressure too”.