It can take a few weeks to get back into the swing of the school routine. The first few month can be tiring for your child, you are likely to see some irritability, tantrums and tears.
Settling into a new school year can mean different routines, different expectations, as well new people and environments. School also requires brain power and concentration. So, once they get home and they are in a safe and familiar environment and with their family, it can unravel, because they feel safe to do so.
For these few weeks you may need to just adjust your expectations a bit until they settle into the school routine.
Top tips for overtired behaviour
- Be patient, calm and caring.
- Show them unconditional love. “I know you are tired, it’s been a very long day. I love you, but it’s not ok to yell and scream at me. Let’s take a few deep breaths and start again.”
- Be prepared to overlook some things on which you would normally not budge.
- Create a calm relaxing space for time out when they get home.
- Feed them healthy food after school. Hunger can make them cranky.
- Make sure they get plenty of sleep. Make their bedtime even earlier during this time.