This is one of our family favourites. It can be served on rice, pasta or mash. As per normal use this as a guide. I don’t cook with salt, but if you want you can add it in. Add more garlic or mustard to suit.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 4 or 5 chicken boneless, skinless thighs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 300g / 10oz mushrooms, large slices
- 40g / 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth/stock, salt reduced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup (150g) sour cream
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place diced chicken in fry pan.
- Press chicken down lightly with a spatula. Cook for 4 minutes until golden.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken onto a plate.
- Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter to the skillet and melt. Then add onions, cookig for 1 minute before adding the mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off (this is flavour!)
- Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated, add remaining broth.
- Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until incorporated (don’t worry if it looks split, sour cream will “melt” as it heats).
- Bring the mix to simmer, then reduce heat to medium low. Once it thickens to the consistency of pouring cream (3 minutes), add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back in (including plate juices). Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove.
- Serve on your choice of rice, pasta, or mash.
Every Wednesday, we’re calling all dads to apron up with the kids and cook dinner for the family. Show us your MasterChef skills by tagging @thefatheringproject across Facebook and Instagram.
Subscribe for Updates