Tira Syrup you ask? It’s a spiced date and sesame seed syrup from Persia. Also known as Date Syrup or Date honey. Used in Middle Eastern cooking as a natural sweetener. It is sure strong in flavour so you don’t need much and it gives a beautiful caramel colouring to the muffins. Using spelt flour it combines to give it a sweet nutty flavour. Cooking down the fruit in the syrup brings out the flavours and makes your kitchen smell amazing!
- 2 ½ cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¾ cup vanilla yoghurt
- 1/3 cup Tira Syrup
- 2 apples – peeled and diced
- 3 banana’s – peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 180c
- In a medium heat frypan add half of the Tira Syrup, apples and banana’s. Cook for 2-3min, set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine egg and oil
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Once combined add fruit mix and combine.
- Lay out muffin papers in the tray and add batter. No more than half fill.
- Cook for 15-20min at 180c(F)
- Once cooked allow to cool.
- Store in fridge or freeze for another day!