Tomato sauce is a staple in many houses. Yet so many commercial tomato sauces are full of salt and sugars. Making your own sauce is actually really easy! There are so many variations but this recipe is really simple and easy to make. The hardest part is time! This sauce is the start, the flavours can be changed and added as you like. Make it spicy, make it Smokey, make it BBQ it is up to you. And the more you make the better you get.
- 4kg field tomato’s
- 1 onion
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 400ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 knob of garlic
- 1/3 cup mixed herbs
- 1tps fennel seeds
- Dice up tomatoes and onion
- Place in saucepan with the rest of the ingredients Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 3-4hrs.
- Remove from heat
- Using a blender, blitz the mix, pour over a sieve to strain out the tomato seeds and lumps.
- Return to clean saucepan and return to heat and reduce sauce to consistently required.
- Using clean bottles fill to 20mm from the top. Place lid on and put into another pot with boiling water.
- Boil for 15min and then simmer for 3 hours.
Cooking with Cameron
The Fathering Project