Easy and simple recipe for dads. Creamy chicken and mushroom pasta bake, a family favourite! This meal is something that can be done in various ways. Bought BBQ chook cooled and diced, chicken thigh fillets, seasoned, cooked and diced. Or leftover chicken from a roast dinner. The base veggies are mushrooms and onion but you can dice up more up as your taste pleases.
What Pasta to use? Thick! I used long pasta. Spirals would work well. The leftovers can be split up into individual meals and frozen for a quick meal when you just don’t feel like cooking.
This serves about 8.
- 500g curly Fettuccine
- 500g Chicken meat, cooked and chopped
- 60g butter
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4tbsp flour
- 500ml milk
- 250ml thickened cream
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 big handfuls of grated cheese
- If using fresh chicken, melt half the butter in a large pot/pan. Sear off chicken till golden brown. About 90seconds each side. Remove from heat and cool. Roughly chop. Don’t stress if it looks little under cooked as it will finish off in the oven
- Preheat oven to 160c
- Cook pasta in boiling water till it is just about cooked. Leaving it slightly undercooked so it will finish off in the oven.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the same pan as the chicken was cooked in, or fresh pot/pan. Add mushrooms and cook till they start to soften. About 4min
- Add onion and garlic, cook for another 3min or till the mushrooms are golden brown and onion starting to cook thru. A touch of cracked black pepper goes well about now.
- Turn heat to medium. Add flour and stir for 30 seconds. Add milk and stir thru and watch the sauce start to thicken.
- Add stock, cream and garlic. Stir frequently as it heats up. Making sure it doesn’t stick to the base. Cook till the sauce starts to thicken. You don’t want it too thick, yet!!!
- Turn off stove and add in 2 large handfuls of grated cheese and stir thru.
- If your pan is oven proof use it otherwise get a large oven proof dish. Combine pasta, sauce and chicken well. Using your hands makes it easy! Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25min or till cheese base gone golden.
- Serve up hot!!
Cooking with Cameron
The Fathering Project