Homemade sausage rolls
A great way to know what is in your food is to make it yourself. This recipe has 2 options. 1. Buy sausages or 2. Make your own sausage mince. Option 2 takes longer but you can vary the flavours to suit. I have kept it simple here but you can experiment and create your own. Don’t forget to get the kids involved as you go!
- Sausages (I used 16 in the video)
- 1kg mince
- 5 eggs (1 for the egg wash)
- Garlic – to taste
- Mixed herbs – to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 packet puff pastry (we used both GF and normal)
- 250gm mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Defrost pastry
- Blitz onion and garlic in food processor for 1 min. Add mushrooms and blitz for 30 sec. Add half the mince and blitz for 1 min. Add 2 eggs blitz in then add the rest of the mince and last 2 eggs. Blitz for 2 min or till looking like a sausage mince. Add seasoning to taste and blitz in for 30 seconds.
- Place mince paste into a bowl and combine in the bread crumbs.
- To get the GF puff pastry to work you need to really kneed it. Roll out to about 2mm thick and cut a rectangle about 15cm x 10cm.
- Option 1. Time to get messy! Grab a handful of mince paste and shape it to a roll about the size of 20c piece and 15cm long. Place it onto the Puff Pastry and roll. Before you finish the roll brush some egg wash on the edge of the pastry that will double over the roll. Cut to the length you want. In the video I made party sausage rolls.
- Option 2. Skin the sausages and using the normal puff pastry sheet (cut in half) place 2 sausages ended to end and roll pastry over, again egg wash the over run. Cut to length.
- Cook 25-30 min 180c.
- Serve up with tomato chutney or a medley of fruit chutney.
The Fathering Channel
Cooking with Cameron