The importance of being a dependable dad
Dads need to be dependable. Kids need to know that Dad will respond to any situation and try to provide for their physical and emotional needs.
Dads being dependable:
Family relationships are the biggest influence on your child’s development. From the moment they are born, bonding with you helps your children learn that their world is safe and secure and that they are loved. When your children feel secure and loved, they are more confident to explore their world, and this is how they learn and develop socially and emotionally.
Dads need to be dependable. Kids need to know that Dad will respond to any situation and try to provide for their physical and emotional needs. When you make this effort and hold up your end of the deal with your kids it will create lasting bonds. You will also find out how much fun it is to be a dad who does take those opportunities to spend time with his kids.
There are many things that fathers can do in the midst of a busy life to make a difference in the lives of their children. It doesn’t take a huge amount of time and the busier you are the more kids appreciate the time you spend with them. It makes them feel really special and that they’re worth your time.
Top Tips for being a dependable dad
- Begin by responding to your child’s needs at home. Make eye contact, listen, help when you can.
- Make yourself available. Make yourself available to your children even when you are away from home. Let them know they can call you anytime they are in need.
- Respond to their smaller needs. When you consistently respond to your child’s smaller needs, they will trust in you and call on you as their needs get bigger.
- Don’t withdraw – stay through thick and thin. Don’t just spend the fun times with your kids and then withdraw as soon as things get serious – love means sharing the tough times too.
- Be with them at crisis times, for example, when they are sick – don’t always leave it to their mother to take them to the doctor.