Crumpets are a super tasty breakfast food. Nothing better than having toasted crumpets with honey just being absorbed and soaking through, yum! This recipe is a winner. Really easy and when gotten right will mean you never buy them again. These can be frozen and taken out and toasted ready to go. I have used egg rings so they are a touch smaller than commercial ones but you can buy the bigger rings, even use cookie cutters for some fun!
- 150g Spelt flour, you could also use plain/all purpose
- 200ml warm water
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon yeast (instant/dry)
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- Butter/spray oil
- Whisk flour and water in a bowl for 2min.
- Dissolve yeast into water and add to flour mix with sugar and baking powder for another 30seconds.
- Cover with cling wrap and place in a warm spot for 15-30min or until the mix is bubbly and fluffy. It will only increase in volume about 10%
- Heat fry pan/crepe hot plate to medium/high.
- Place metal rings on the plate and spray with oil to help the batter not stick.
- Fill rings to about 1cm deep with batter. Cook for 90 seconds and turn the heat down to medium. Cook another 60 seconds and you should see bubbles starting to pop. Continue to cook till the bubbles have finished popping.
- Remove rings.
- Flip and cook for a moment just to finish off the batter cooking on the top.
- Serve up warm or let cool and freeze for later use.
Cooking with Cameron
The Fathering Channel