A great dish that has it all! Meat and veggies and full of flavour! This is something fairly easy to pull together and will feed the family. From start to finish, about 1hr until you serve up and enjoy. You can swap out the lamb for beef but then its called Cottage pie, same thing just different protein.
- 1kg Lamb Mince
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 Brussel Sprouts, finely sliced
- ¼ cup mixed herbs
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 500ml red wine
- 2 tps beef stock powder
- 1tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 5 brushed potatoes, diced
- ½ large Swede, diced
- 100ml milk
- 30g butter
- 1 egg
- Handful of grated cheese
- 30g melted butter
- Heat oil in large fry pan, med – high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add carrots, brussel Sprouts, herbs and any other veggies you might want to add. Cook for 3 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Turn up the heat to high. Add lamb and cook. Breaking down the mince as you go. Cook until brown.
- Add flour and mix in. Add wine, stock, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and bay leaves. Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and turn down the heat to simmer rapidly. Cook for 30minutes, stirring occasionally , until a thick gravy forms.
- Boil potatoes and Swede till soft. Mash with butter, milk and egg.
- Place mince mix into a baking dish and top off with mash potatoes. Use a fork to ‘rough up’ the surface of the mash. Brush melted butter over it and add cheese to the top.
- Heat oven to full heat and place pie into the oven for 10min or till the cheese has melted.
Cooking with Cameron
The Fathering Channel