As a father you are uniquely placed to demonstrate strength, gentleness and respect.
You are your children’s first models of what healthy relationships look and feel like. Your children are going to look to you for how to treat other people and how to expect to be treated by others.
Fathers can particularly also have a significant impact on how children perceive women should be treated. This will be demonstrated through how you show respect to the women in your life, be that your partner, sister, mother, friend or daughter.
- Role model unconditional love, by showing your children that their behaviours do not influence the love they receive.
- Children are always watching how you interact with females in your day to day life.
- If you have a son, you are setting an example for how they can go on to treat women.
- If you have a daughter, you are showing them how they can expect to be treated by men.
- Role model positive, healthy relationships. Your children are learning from the relationships you have with other family members, friends, your partner, and your children.
An easy acronym to remember from Dr Tim Hawkes:
Words, Actions, Time