Everyone feels angry sometimes, it is perfectly normal. Being a dad can bring about a range of emotions, and triggers you didn’t even know existed. It is how you express that anger that is important. Don’t let it control you.
When you choose to use anger positively, it can give you energy and motivation to get through a crisis. However, if you choose to use anger negatively you may risk hurting yourself or those around you.
Tips to deal with anger
- Accept that you are angry. It is normal to feel angry sometimes.
- Look at ways you can express your anger without harming yourself or others.
- Remove yourself from the situation – walk away, take time out, go outside and walk it off.
- Take deep breaths and get the emotion under control so you can think clearly.
- Listen to and understand your anger. Often underneath the anger, there are other feelings such as hurt, fear, disappointment, and sadness. It is important to let yourself be aware and feel the feelings underneath the anger.
- Express your feelings calmly and directly. You are more likely to get your message across this way.
If you find you are struggling, call Lifeline on 131 114, Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636, Mens Line Australia – 1300 789 978