It’s Men’s Health Week – a critical time to be reminded of the importance of looking after your wellbeing.
Wellbeing is the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy.
It’s a combination of a person’s physical, mental, emotional and social health factors – it is a mixture of feeling good and functioning well; the experience of positive emotions such as happiness and contentment, a feeling that you are development of your potential and have some control over your life, having a sense of purpose and experiencing positive relationships.
To be the best dad that you can be, you need to make your own health and wellbeing a priority. While focusing on a healthy lifestyle by exercising and eating right is great for your body, balanced living means protecting your mental and emotional health too.
Top tips for general wellbeing
- Planning and structure are key. Schedule in time for the different areas of your life to maintain balance. Plan for exercise, family time, relaxation and social time as well as work.
- Spend time with your loved ones. Make time to nurture and grow your relationships with your kids, your partner, your family and friends.
- Make time to eat right. The right diet will keep your body healthy, give you energy, and boost your spirits.
- Keep fit. Going for a walk, following an exercise video or just running up and down the stairs. Anything to get the endorphins and adrenaline going helps your overall wellbeing.
- Keep connected. Being at home with family is great, but also stay connected with friends and extended family.
- Find time for yourself. Take time to have a bit of time out for yourself.
- Identify the positives in your life. Whilst you cannot control the circumstances, you can control how you react to them. Try to focus on the positives and reflect this attitude to your kids and partner.