School holidays are a great opportunity to have family time and spend extra quality time with the kids. However, it’s no secret that amongst the extra quality time, it can sometimes be chaos and hard to find a minute to yourself.
To be the best dad that you can be, you need to make your own health and wellbeing a priority. If you need time these school holidays to take a minute for yourself, don’t feel guilty.
Wellbeing is about being happy and content, giving you a better outlook on life so you’re more prepared to tackle your tasks. Stress, on the other hand, can keep you from enjoying life and can have a hugely negative impact on your health.
Top tips to prioritise your mental health and wellbeing
- Planning and structure are key. Schedule in time for the different areas of your life to maintain balance. Plan for exercise, family time, relaxation, and social time as well as work.
- Make time to eat right. The right diet will keep your body healthy, give you energy, and boost your spirits.
- Keep fit. Going for a walk, following an exercise video, or just running up and down the stairs. Anything to get the endorphins and adrenaline going helps your overall wellbeing.
- Time outside. Getting some Vitamin D is important, and a lack can contribute to low mood. Take time to go outside, walk around the block or just around the garden
- Keep connected. Being at home with family is great, but also stay connected with friends and extended family.
- Find time for yourself. Take time to have a bit of time out for yourself.
- Identify the positives in your life. Whilst you cannot control the circumstances, you can control how you react to them. Try to focus on the positives and reflect this attitude to your kids and partner.
If you are struggling, call Lifeline on 131 114, MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978, or Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636.